Dr John Battersby is a Teaching Fellow at the Centre for Defence and Security Studies, Massey University, and Managing Editor of the National Security Journal. He previously served in the Police’s Wellington and Central Districts before joining the School of Leadership, Management and Command at the Royal New Zealand Police College in Porirua, and then the Central Specialist Search Group based in Wellington. Prior to that he was with the Treaty Issues and International Law Team at the Crown Law Office. An historian by training, his research interests are in counter terrorism, insurgency and intelligence.
- Were recent events in Afghanistan really an ‘intelligence failure’?, Line of Defence Magazine, Spring 2021.
- Q&A: History lost on Christchurch Attacks Royal Commission of Inquiry, New Zealand Security Magazine, February-March 2021.
- The People’s Spring’: Covid-19, public protest and terrorism, Line of Defence Magazine, Winter 2020.
- Countering terrorism where there used to be no terrorism to counter, Line of Defence Magazine, Autumn 2019.
- Countering terrorism where there is ‘apparently’ no terrorism to counter, Line of Defence Magazine, Winter 2018.
- New Zealand and Terrorism: The case for new legislation, Line of Defence Magazine, Spring 2017.
- What’s the future for terrorism?, Line of Defence Magazine, Spring 2017.