Leading voices in the security of New Zealand.
Defsec Media Limited is an independent publisher based in Auckland and Te Puru, New Zealand. We deliver in-depth news and analysis for readers with a professional interest in Aotearoa New Zealand’s defence, national security, enterprise security and fire protection sectors. Our talented editorial team and eminent expert contributors produce quality online and in-print stories that shape national narratives and conversations on national defence and security matters… read more about our publications
Nicholas Dynon | Chief Editor | Auckland
Nicholas’ career in security, defence and government extends back to the mid-1990s. He is founding chief editor of Line of Defence Magazine, and chief editor of New Zealand Security Magazine and Fire NZ Magazine.
A former civil servant, diplomat and part-time soldier, Nicholas is a licensed security consultant, a member of the National Security Journal editorial board and a co-convenor of the New Zealand Security Sector Network. He writes on New Zealand’s national security, defence industry and private security sector. For more information, read Nicholas’ Contributor Profile.
Craig Fint | Publisher | Te Puru, Waikato
Craig has almost three decades of experience in the New Zealand publishing industry and has steered the evolution of Defsec into a fully integrated multi-platform business media provider.
In addition to publishing Fire NZ Magazine and co-founding Line of Defence Magazine, Craig founded New Zealand Security Magazine as New Zealand’s only security industry trade publication in 1994. Today it remains the number one B2B magazine for the county’s security industry, and is part of a leading stable of publications that reaches audiences in New Zealand and beyond.
Much of our editorial is written by contributing authors who are distinguished specialists in their fields. They include commentators, practitioners and scholars of defence, security affairs and government procurement, eminently qualified to provide the most authoritative analysis.
You can read all about our contributing authors in our contributors list, which includes such authoritative voices as:
- Hon Ron Mark, New Zealand’s 40th ]Minister of Defence (2017-20), former deputy leader of the New Zealand First Party, and former New Zealand Army officer.
- Hon Mark Mitchell, New Zealand’s 39th Minister of Defence (2017) and current National Party Spokesperson for Defence, Disarmament, and Justice.
- Hon Dr Wayne Mapp QSO, New Zealand’s 36th Minister of Defence and Minister of Science and Innovation (2008-11). Defence and national security expert commentator.
- Hon Heather Roy, New Zealand’s Minister of Consumer affairs and Associate Minister of Defence (2008-10), former Deputy Leader of the ACT Party and New Zealand Army officer (Reserve).
- Professor Rouben Azizian, Director, Centre for Defence and Security Studies, Massey University, and former Soviet and Russian diplomat. National security specialist.
- Dr Peter Greener, Senior Fellow at the Centre for Strategic Studies at Victoria University Wellington, and Honorary Professor at the NZDF Command and Staff College. Our editor-at-large.
- Dr Bridgette Sullivan-Taylor, Senior Lecturer in business at the University of Auckland’s Graduate School of Management. Extreme events and resilience specialist.
- Dr John Battersby, New Zealand Police Teaching Fellow at the Centre for Defence and Security Studies, Massey University. Terrorism and counter-terrorism specialist.
- David Horsburgh CPP PSP PCI, Licensed Security Consultant with a three-decade-long career in the New Zealand Police and NZSIS. Surveillance and privacy specialist.
- Jennie Vickers, CEO of the New Zealand Defence Industry Association, and previously ANZ Director for IACCM. Defence industry and government procurement specialist.
- Gary Morrison, CEO of the New Zealand Security Association, and previously CEO and GM of major New Zealand physical security providers. Security industry specialist.
- Andrew Thorburn, Licensed Security Consultant, former ASIS International NZ Chapter Chair (2019) and New Zealand Security Consultant of the Year (2018). Security specialist.
See the full contributor list here.