Nicholas Dynon is Chief Editor of Defsec Media’s defence, security and safety publications and co-founder of Line of Defence Magazine. His 14-year career with Australia’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection (now Home Affairs) included roles in Sydney and Parliament House, Canberra, and as a diplomat in Shanghai, Beijing and Suva. Prior to posting overseas, he served in the Australian Army’s Signals (RASigs) and Transport (RACT) corps as a reservist non-commissioned and then commissioned officer. Nicholas holds an M.A. in Asian Studies (ANU) and a Master of International Studies with Honours (Sydney), and his research on Chinese politics and political ideology has been published in several peer reviewed journals. Based in Auckland, he is an influential commentator on New Zealand’s security and military affairs.
Selected articles (as author)
- Facilities and Public Spaces conference offers answers to ‘wicked’ problems, New Zealand Security Magazine, October 2019.
- Opinion: Protestors beat hollow victory drum, Line of Defence Magazine, Spring 2019.
- Facial Recognition: the front line of security versus privacy, New Zealand Security Magazine, June 2019.
- New Zealand, China, and the limits of friendship, Line of Defence Magazine, Autumn 2019.
- Behaviour detection at the border: dark art or science?, New Zealand Security Magazine, October 2018.
- Chinese Tech: Let’s talk about the elephant in the room, New Zealand Security Magazine, August 2018.
- Let’s start talking seriously about robots, New Zealand Security Magazine, August 2018.
- Learning from China: ‘Soft war’ and cultural security, Line of Defence Magazine, Summer 2017/18.
- Protecting crowded places from terror attack, Line of Defence Magazine, Spring 2017.
- Opinion: Towards an economics of terror threat in New Zealand, Line of Defence Magazine, Winter 2017.
- The paradox of information sharing at New Zealand’s borders, Line of Defence Magazine, Winter 2017.
- The fog of smokeless war: A cyber security capability for NZDF, Line of Defence Magazine, Autumn 2017.
- Swings and carousels in airport and border security, New Zealand Security Magazine, April/May 2015.